Member Support

• Advertisement
Photobucket

Life Jackets & Survival Equipment

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

Life Jackets & Survival Equipment

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Jason J. Baker (Owner/ Admin)
Integrity Is A Choice. It is consistently choosing the simplicity and purity of truth over popularity.
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Advertisement

Photobucket

Re: Life Jackets & Survival Equipment

Unread postby BGH » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Here's a link to all the products that Mustang Survival makes.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/catalogs.php

Covers pretty much everything.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby L-19 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:15 am

Dusting off this old relic from the archives.
While searching for life vest topics on here, I found 2 which gave good info. I chose to post here, the other was mostly anti-lifejacket.

I had a manual inflation vest on my Christmas list & got a Mustang MD3085. I will need a 2nd one for my Pax & was wondering what you guys use? The Mustang seems nice/comfortable/simple, but with no knowledge of other brands & models, is there a better option? Also, any BASIC equipment you'd carry for someone not flying remote wilderness?

I know some of you don't, or refuse to, wear one. I've read your comments & completely understand the points raised, so I'm looking for comments from those that use 'em or atleast carry that type.

Thanks!
L-19

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:55 am

Howdy L19,

I started conversing with Bryan Webster (Bry the DunkerGuy) a looong time ago and he submitted that article for my blog, back in the day when I still had time for the blog. What got me started on sharing these articles was my initial blogpost I submitted to SPA (since taken down as per my request) which received some nice feedback. When this forum was started I tried to get safety & training related sponsors on board, at the time (due to lack of traffic and activity) very hard to do. Things have slowly changed...

This article contains changes recommended by Mike Vivion, who pointed out that passenger briefings are not mandatory for private/ recreational flying.

http://jasonjamesbaker.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/seaplane-passenger-briefings/

Surf around, there is a whole slew of writings that deal with the subject still on the blog.

I haven't yet had a chance to officially announce that we will have Switlik coming on as a supporting industry member, whom I hope will enjoy their time with us in the future. There will be a new section dedicated for these subjects as well. You can ask Tim McCormack how opinions change on seatbelts and many others opinions on life jackets get changed when they bail you out of dodge and let you walk another day.

Of course, all these things are personal preference. Some people think any life west will tangle and kill you, some others probably wished they had one when they drowned.

http://www.switlik.com/aviation

Give them a visit and tell them seaplaneforum.com sent you! :)
Last edited by jjbaker on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: better placement of text to avoid accidental drownings. Also, please do not mistake a seatbelt for a shoulder harness to avoid sitting upside down.
Integrity Is A Choice. It is consistently choosing the simplicity and purity of truth over popularity.
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:39 am

jjbaker wrote:Howdy L19,

You can ask Tim McCormack how opinions change on seatbelts

It was actually shoulder harnesses that I changed my mind on. I always used the seat belts but my plane didn't have shoulder harnesses until after a landing in the trees in a Piper Warrior a year and a half ago. I have them now.
Tim McCormack
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:42 am

jjbaker wrote:Howdy L19,

Of course, all these things are personal preference. Some people think any life west will tangle and kill you, some others probably wished they had one when they drowned.

Give them a visit and tell them seaplaneforum.com sent you! :)

:lol: I'm sure Jason doesn't mean this like it came out. :o
Tim McCormack
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am

Highly unfortunate placement of text... LOL...
Oh well. At least I didn't throw poop.

:roll:
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby BGH » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Safety has been first & foremost in my flying pretty much since the beginning.I've read accident reports & always learned from then & where applicable add the results to my pre flight passenger briefing.My toughest "client" was always my dad,but even he eventually stopped saying kick the tires light the fire - fishing opportunities are being missed.Heck even my buddy Frank;a retired airline pilot that started his flying career in fleet canucks at Vancouver International & ended his career 39 years later & 400 ft from his first flight(in a747-400 as captain) listens to my preflight brief .He once joked to me that hell that's unsafe I 'm not going.in the end every one gets a preflight briefing explaining door locks,seat belts,elt position & activation & even about possible disorientation in the event of an upset.
Lastly is the donning & use of the manditory lifejacket & how to activate it once safely outside the aircraft.

You are not required to wear the lifejacket;but you don't get in the aircraft without it.I don't care if you own the same aircraft as me - this one is mine & you will pay attention,or not fly with me.

There have been comments & complaints,but I feel that it's for the best.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:30 pm

I bought my Seaplane Vests through an add in Water Flying some years ago. They fit great, have a build in gas cartridge for inflation or can be inflated manually by mouth. The deluxe one has multiple pockes and is tan and I use it as a Fly Fishing Vest whether flying or not. The other is yellow and I have always required my passengers (as well as myself to wear one). I will have to look through my records and see where I bought them, but they were much less expensive then the ones sold by places like West Marine. I think they may have been $125 for the standard and $150 for the deluxe.
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby geodoc » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:58 pm

If you haven't visited the "Equipped to Survive" web site, have a look there. A terrific resource:

http://www.equipped.com/avsrvtoc.htm
geodoc

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm

I like recommending these folks:

Website link here:
Stormy Seas "Inflatable Flotation Clothing"

Here is some examples of their clothing:

Most of these items are priced between $150 and $200.

Many of the pilots in Alaska have been wearing these jackets for decades.

Lots of pockets is important to a seaplane pilot. The only things you'll have with you after swimming to shore is what's in those pockets. A handheld aircraft and/or marine radio in a ziplock bag will be your best friend while you're standing soaked on the beach. The other item in your pocket should be a space blanket to wrap up in while you wait.

Anyway, that's my opinion on safety :idea:
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks Klaus - I could not remember the name of the company I bought mine from and this was it - I have a pair of Expo 100s as well as the Full Insulated Jacket type inflatables for use on my Sailboat.
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby kevinsky18 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:25 am

I've done the dunker course twice. First time was years ago, I paid for it myself. Second time was a few months ago paid for by my boss. It's a good course and definately worth doing at least once.

When I fly my plane I wear a vest and my passengers wear a vest. Something to note: A Fireboss pilot crashed wearing a vest and the shoulder harness damaged the cartridge / vest. I've learnt from that and now lace my Y harness under the vest not over top. I've tested the ease at which the Y harness will slip out while under the vest and I'm confident it won't catch. This of course is based on my plane, my harnesses and my vests: Your set up will likely be different so double check.

At work I don't wear a vest and neither do my passengers. Although the company pays for the dunk course they are still on the fence regarding the issue of vests to our passengers. I think the main reason is they worry about inadvertant deployment of the vest.

Further I get a number of passengers that have their own vests. I always check to make sure they are manual inflation vests. Automatic inflation vests and or the standard boating life vests must be removed while in the plane. These vests will trap and kill a person inside the plane.

I agree 100% if you're not wearing it, it's not coming with you. For the vests that have multiple pockets I would put a lighter/matches at the top of the list for things to have in those pockets. I've been stuck out in the bush a couple of times and a roaring fire beats one of those space blankets everytime. Warmth, protection/security from nasty animals, smoke to keep bugs away, a way to dry clothes, signaling, cooking etc you just can't beat the positives of having a fire.
kevinsky18
Industry Supporter
Industry Supporter

Location: BC Rockies, NWT, Caribbean, Belize, Brazil, Africa, India, Singapore, Indonesia

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks for the great tips. I have a waterproof match case in my vest, a small knife, a small flashlight and a couple of other items.
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Here is a thread on PFDs that is good to review again.
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby seasonaldriver » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:01 pm

This string has lots of good ideas and info but I have noticed that no one has mentioned the need to have the vests inspected on a regular basis. Pinhole leaks develop and gas cartridges degrade somehow. I've had several vests rejected after inspection, so I can confirm that crap can happen if you're not careful.

The other side of the coin is trying to find an inspection station. The numbers decrease every year it seems. Good luck!

One last thing. Take a survival course or at least read a book on survival techniques. Perhaps even keep a copy in your vest if it's a small book. Have a compass and metal mirror in your pocket with your matches and a multitool on your belt. As the other guy said, ya never know.
seasonaldriver

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Welcome to the group seasonaldriver.
We send ours back to the manufacturer and they can turn them around within in a week normally.

Maybe someone from Switlik can gives the details :?: .

On the other hand, they only have to stay inflated for about 20 minutes in waters up here. After that only the recover team cares :cry: .
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:43 pm

One of my Alaska buddies got me to carry a 3" semi serrated pocket knife that has a clip to hold it in the top of your pocket. Most have a thumb stud on the blade that lets you open it ONE HANDED so that if you get one hand trapped you will be able to open the knife with the other hand to free the trapped hand. I like the Kershaw one that has assisted opening. He was an Ak State Trooper for 27 years and did alot of Sars work and said that many times his or anothers life was saved by the fact that his free hand and knife saved them. When you first get one it feels clumsy in your hand but if you keep playing with it while watching TV or while driving it will become second nature with both hands. I now carry one at all times every day and it is a great tool many times during the day. Buy locally or here for under 30 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ker ... m270.l1313

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7wnf-bvmnU

They even have one for Jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1HTgzP- ... ure=relmfu

Glenn
cubdriver2

Unread postby CFII » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 pm

After reading recent posts, it motivated me to update my all-day wearable, inflatable vests, which are getting old. Don't see any advertisers for such here, which would be my preference to buy from.... Blind?

This one is my choice so far: ID# 9011 A, from Sporty's by Revere, because it looks the best for long use with a shoulder harness, being very FLAT in the PIX. I have been using the bare yellow ones, which are the most comfortable and light but, don't look too rugged.
CFII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 am

I bought mine through an ad in Water Flying Magazine. Can not remember the company name, but I love them. I will take some pictures when I am at the airport tomorrow or Tuesday.
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm

BTW: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop is giving away a seaplane flying package this year, shown here!

This Revere life vest looks the flatest for shoulder harness long term comfort: http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/17534
CFII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm

CFII wrote:After reading recent posts, it motivated me to update my all-day wearable, inflatable vests, which are getting old. Don't see any advertisers for such here, which would be my preference to buy from.... Blind?

Nope. Not blind. Seaplaneforum.com is having the grandest time finding a rescue & survival equipment firm to advertise here. :oops:
Sporty's ignored several requests and inquiries, along with the 6 or 7 other companies I asked to consider it. :|

We must be too small and not worthy as a potential buyers group... :?
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Jason,

Do you have a list of companies you contacted? I will pull mine out tomorrow when I am at the airport and see if you have contacted this company.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 am

I'm working on Wip

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm

My PFDs are from Stormy Seas, Inc. The one I use is the deluxe with 4 pockets in Tan and I use it as a fly fishing vest and I have the standard models in High Visibility Yellow for passengers.

www.stormyseas.com

They have good prices and I like the design. Just took some pictures, which I will resize and post later.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Next

Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics